Well, that’s what it feels like! There was no Midweek Mashup last week because I was way too tired. For someone who hadn’t even been to a game before three weeks ago (and barely knew anything about rugby before this all started), I’ve been pretty full on. There was me, in a bar with Steven and friends watching last Saturday and Sunday’s quarter-final games – so tired, I could barely watch the big screens (Saturday, I’d gone a little all-out, so Sunday, I was just knackered but still there, rooting for the All-Blacks). Here’s the haka from the All-Blacks vs. Argentina. I love this one, because it feels like they practiced and practiced until they got it tonally correct. And, I love that sound. This weekend’s semi-final games (tomorrow and Sunday, respectively) are France vs. Wales and New Zealand vs. Australia (EPIC). I’ll be in some bar watching with friends. Lol!
1. Haka from the Argentina vs. New Zealand game last Sunday. (crank it up!)
2. Can you guess which two teams I’m rooting for this weekend? [I had an old shirt embroidered – design it yourself and you get exactly what you want]. This picture was taken with the cooperation of Owain (whom you’ve met before).
3. Speaking of designing clothes: Did you know you can make clothes from milk? [Click on screencap for full article.]
4. Speaking of milk, here’s the first few paragraphs of one of the first short stories I got published, entitled “Milk” – to read the rest of it, go HERE.
Every morning, my mom makes me eat a huge breakfast – toast, fruit, corn flakes, and milk. One whole glass of gross, Elmer’s Glue-colored stuff that comes out of a cow. Fortunately, I’ve found a way out of it. As I eat my cereal, the milk level in the bowl goes down. I gradually refill the bowl with the milk from my glass, making sure to eat just the cereal. Then, I go to the sink, dump all the milk in the bowl down the drain, and rinse the bowl.
My best friend, Winnie, is always warning me that my bones will get so weak and stunted that I’ll never be able to play any sports because I’ll be too busy tripping over my own deformed feet. Although I’ll never admit it to her, she could be just a little right. I’m on the basketball team at school, but I never get to play. I guess I could use the excuse that I’m too short. But honestly, I don’t think I’m very good. Winnie says maybe I should give another sport a try if I want to play on a team so badly. Winnie is not a team player. She’s obsessed with archery and has been taking lessons since the beginning of the year. She wants to be on the Olympic team one day. She’ll do it, too.
Winnie was my next-door neighbor all the way through elementary school. Our moms used to swap watching us so they could run to the store and stuff. But even though Winnie and I were often stuck together, we only said things to each other like, “Can I have the blue crayon?” or “Do you guys have any ice cream?” Then, her family moved across town the summer after fourth grade. All of the sudden we weren’t seeing each other all the time any more and it was really weird. We’ve been best friends ever since.
So, Winnie and I are sitting in English class one day. We have a sub and the class is watching a movie. Well, some of the class is watching. I’m already 20 pages into my book and Winnie is doodling on her desk. Behind me, Jared and Matt are whispering about something going on in the field behind the water tower a few streets away from me. I get interested and eavesdrop…
5. A few months ago, I went to a film festival movie called, “Miss Representation”. It’s a documentary about how girls/young women/women are portrayed in the media. As you might imagine, it’s heart-breaking, sobering, and frustrating, but I thought it was also uplifting because the women featured in it – who spoke up about the subject – were amazing. I thought the film was pretty fantastic. It airs in the United States on Thursday, October 20th at 9pm on OWN (I think that’s Oprah’s network). I highly recommend it. HERE is their website. The movie has gained momentum and the site is basically now for an organization spawned by the film. It’s pretty cool.
The trailer follows.
6. Last, but certainly not least, a RAVE. I heard this guy on a tv show last week. I don’t remember which tv show, but I ordered this guy’s CD right away. He’s called Fink. He’s English. I think he’s gonna be big.
My favorite song from the album. A slow burn, and good – like one of those songs you can crank up and lie down on the floor, close your eyes and a 2 and a half minutes into the song it seems that you’ve already synched your heartbeat to a bass beat that just appeared. I like those (the deep bass beat doesn’t come out so well on YouTube, though – maybe use headphones and crank it up?) The second is my other favorite song on the album.
I linked to them below, because I can’t get them to appear in my post for some reason.
TILL NEXT TIME:)